Up for a cup of tea?
I am sitting enjoying a cup of tea with my good friend Gillian and we are talking about vacations and what makes them good, bad or great.
I have listened to my friends talking about vacations over the last year and whether it did or didn’t live up to expectation. Some of the stories were nightmares, so the question is, how can you make sure that doesn’t happen on your vacation?
I took note and felt inspired to write about it. When married with kids it becomes a very different vacation once you are travelling with another family. We all believe it’s what we want, but it can be totally stressful if not planned right and expectations not set in advance. Know yourself, your spouse and the people you are travelling with. Test the water with a shorter trip, maybe a weekend getaway, before taking the plunge for an entire week. Whether you are taking a family trip, girlfriend trip, mother and kids, dad and kids, there are things that we can all keep in mind.
- Get a house big enough so that everyone has space
- Have more than one car so you don’t have to do everything together all the time and you have flexibility
- Set house rules together for everyone to follow
- Don’t be too structured
- Leave time for relaxation so everyone gets space and time alone
- Don’t discipline other’s people’s children unless you have the type of friendship where it is ok to do
- Be open to other’s people’s differences and views. Sometimes your point of view isn’t so important, walk away
- Bring lots of alcohol
- Remember, friendships take years to build , so don’t blow it in a week
Enjoy your vacation.